About Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute
At Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute, we measure success in many ways. Naturally, we’re proud of our specialists, top-tier clinical staff, visionary leadership team, state-of-the-art facilities, lifesaving technologies and innovative research trials. We come to work each day, however, for reasons far less measurable ― a woman’s smile when her husband survives and thrives after a heart attack or a grandmother’s gratitude when her heart valve is repaired without undergoing open-heart surgery.
Established in 1987 by renowned interventional radiologist Barry T. Katzen, M.D., the Institute was one of the first centers in the United States to treat the heart and blood vessels as one entity. This unique approach, coupled with cutting-edge techniques and technologies, advanced research and an international focus, resulted in the Institute becoming a leader in cardiovascular care.
Today, Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute is the largest and most comprehensive cardiovascular facility in the region. Patients can experience consistent, exceptional, evidence-based care at Institute locations throughout Baptist Health. Our team of multilingual, multidisciplinary specialists have pioneered the development of technology used to treat aneurysms, blockages in veins and arteries and holes in the heart. They participate in federally approved clinical research studies and offer the most minimally invasive options whenever possible. And they’re dedicated to providing you and your family with the best care possible.
Our Leadership Physicians
Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute's multidisciplinary team of leadership physicians represents the complete spectrum of cardiovascular care. Trained at some of the country's finest facilities ― and pioneers of some of today’s newest technologies and techniques ― these experienced professionals represent a brain trust of cardiovascular expertise.
Barry T. Katzen, M.D.
Founder and Chief Medical Executive of Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute
Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute Governance Council
Reflecting the Institute’s considerable growth, continued evolution and the strength of our strategic alliances, the cardiovascular services throughout Baptist Health’s southern entities have established a new leadership structure ― the Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute Governance Council. This organization is possible thanks to the intense efforts of many to build the necessary infrastructure of our robust cardiovascular program over the years. It not only recognizes our unique environment that features private practice physicians and employed physicians, but it also better aligns our services with the short- and long-term strategic objectives of Baptist Health and the Institute itself.
We are now joined by two deputy directors with system-wide responsibilities within the Institute.
Jonathan Fialkow, M.D.Chief of cardiology for Baptist Hospital and Deputy Director of Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute
Dr. Fialkow, has held, and continues to hold, a variety of leadership positions throughout Baptist Health. He is a clinical lipidologist and practices preventive cardiology within the Institute. Dr. Fialkow also heads the health system’s population health efforts.
Joseph McGinn M.D.Chief of Cardiac Surgery and Deputy Director of Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute
Dr. McGinn is a pioneer in the field of cardiothoracic surgery and developed the minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting method known internationally as the McGinn Technique.
- The Joint Commission, all entities within Baptist Health South Florida
- American Nurses Credentialing Center Magnet Designation, Baptist and South Miami Hospitals
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval ® and the American Heart Association’s Heart-Check mark for Certification in Heart Failure, West Kendall Baptist Hospital
- Comprehensive Stroke Center, The Joint Commission, Baptist Hospital
- Primary Stroke Center, Agency for Healthcare Administration, South Miami and West Kendall Baptist Hospitals
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Noninvasive Vascular Laboratories, Baptist, South Miami, Doctors and Homestead Hospitals
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Echocardiography Laboratories, Baptist, South Miami, Doctors and Homestead Hospitals
- American College of Radiology, MRI and CT
- National Hospital Alliance WomenHeart