The Lipid Management Program at Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute is the only organized lipid management program in Miami. In fact, there are only a few dozen certified clinical lipidologists in Florida.
If you are living with cardiovascular disease or at risk for cardiovascular disease, lipids can increase your risk of heart attack, stroke and premature death. Lipids are the fats in your blood like cholesterol and triglycerides.
The Lipid Management Program at Miami Cardiac & Vascular Institute helps patients who must manage their lipids but are unable to tolerate traditional lipid management therapies or have complex disorders that require specialized care. We work with your physician to help you reach your lipid goal in a safe and well-tolerated way.
Our Lipid Clinic's Complete Approach to Lipid Management
Our physician assistant, a clinical lipid specialist, and our clinical pharmacist track your treatment plan by regularly monitoring your lipids and making necessary adjustments to make sure you are meeting your goals. Additionally, the team coordinates with nutritionists, exercise physiologists, genetic counselors or additional specialists to ensure you stay on target.
Once you reach your lipid goal, your primary physician or cardiologist will take over for your long-term lipid management and care.
Who can the Lipid Management Program help?
The Lipid Management Program is helpful for patients:
- At risk for heart attack or stroke
- Unsure if they should be taking statins
- Under 55 with coronary artery disease
- Having genetic cholesterol and/or lipid disorders
- Deemed “statin intolerant” due to side effects
- Currently taking statins but who are not at “goal” for cardiac risk
- Who have had multiple heart attacks, stents or coronary angioplasties
- Experiencing cardiac events after coronary artery bypass grafting
- With elevated triglycerides (over 500mg/dl)
- Being considered for new PCSK9 inhibitor drugs to lower cholesterol
The Lipid Management Program is covered under insurance. Referrals from physicians are recommended but not required.
To find out more and to make an appointment with a cardiovascular lipid specialist, call 786-204-4499.